Click to download KAUPA’s Non-Point Source Pollution Brochure.
What is Nonpoint Source Pollution?
- Litter and discarded household items that end up in Kalihi Valley Stream leach chemicals into the water and break up into smaller pieces that are eaten by marine life like the fish we eat.
- Bulky item waste such as engine parts and home appliances leach dangerous chemicals into the water. Dispose of them properly.
- Common household motor oils, paints, tires, batteries and nitrates from fertilizers also leach dangerous chemicals into the water. Dispose of them properly.
- Soil erosion at streambanks reduces water clarity and blocks the sunlight that nourishes native plants in Kalihi Valley Stream and the native fish
How can you help? What can you do?
- Start at home.
- Identify NPS in Kalihi Valley Stream
- Notify the proper agencies about NPS sites in Kalihi Valley
- Participate in KAUPA activities